Cairns U3A Ramblers re-commenced in June 2020.
We enjoy a good walk in a different part of our beautiful home of FNQ every week. We are always looking for new places to walk and will include an outing such as a boat trip or a special event (e.g. Art Festival in Port Douglas) if possible. We are a really friendly bunch and usually chat the whole way, the kilometres melt away. We usually include a break mid-way and often have brunch at the end of the walk. Brunch is up to you of course, some people rush off to do other things.
We meet on Tuesday mornings, usually early, to reduce the heat and UV exposure as much as possible. IMPORTANT – Please let the convener know if you plan to attend a walk so she knows who to expect.
In these days of Covid-19 we are keeping the walks mainly in Cairns and district. The walk meeting place is usually at the start of the walk. Detailed descriptions for parking are given for every walk.
COVID 19 Precautions and Regulations:
- Group limit is 20, always notify the convener if you expect to attend please.
- Keep 1.5 mts distance from each other at all times.
- Please don’t attend a walk if you have any signs of illness.
- Carry your own hand sanitiser.
- You are encouraged to install the COVIDsafe app, this increases the ease to contact all walkers if needed to contact trace. This is to everyone’s advantage.
- Please wear comfortable protective shoes and a hat for all walks. Carry water on all walks, at least 2 litres on longer walks.
- It is very important that you become a U3A member because you and the walk leader will then be covered by U3A insurance. We walk over many different terrains, sometimes the path may be rain forest and tangled roots, sometimes it may be slippery in the rain. All usual care is taken on walks, but accidents can still happen. If a walk is going to be strenuous or difficult you will be informed beforehand,
- Please wear comfortable protective shoes and a hat for all walks. Carry water on all walks.
- Please book with the convener to ensure safe limits of numbers (convener details can be found in the bulletin).
|Date||Walk||Distance (approx.)||Walk difficulty||Notes|
|4 Aug||Fitzroy Island||8-9 km, if you do all walks||Lighthouse (3.6 kms moderate)
Island Summit Circuit (4.2 km strenuous)
Nudey Beach (1.2 km easy)
|Catch 8 am ferry from Marlin Wharf, Cairns, to Fitzroy Island (locals rate is $50 return with Fitzroy Island Resort Ferry – you will need to book your own trip).
Important Note – I will be camping on the Island so I will meet walkers when you get off the ferry.
Walk to Lighthouse (3.6 kms moderate track) then Island Summit Circuit (4.2 km strenuous). Anyone not doing summit circuit will return to resort from the lighthouse.
Following lunch at resort or Foxy’s Bar walk to Nudey Beach (1.2 km) for a swim. Then return on 5 pm ferry. (Ferry times may change so I will keep you updated if they do.)
|11 Aug, 8 am||Kewarra and Trinity Beach circuit||10.5 kms||Easy to moderate – steps and a very short scramble over large rocks. Best wear long pants.||Park at Kewarra Beach public car park next to Kewarra Beach Resort. We will walk to Trinity Beach via Trinity Park, then walk to both Trinity Beach headlands and then back to Kewarra Beach. Brunch at Trinity Beach.|
|18 Aug, 9 am||Port Douglas||13 kms approx.||Easy, some steps on Flagstaff Hill.||Meet at corner of Limpet Avenue and Esplanade, parking on Limpet Avenue. Walk 4 mile beach then over Flagstaff Hill plus Lookout then return. Brunch halfway in Port Douglas.|
|25 Aug, 8 am||Holloways Beach||8 kms
Option of another 5km
|Easy, short mangrove walk which may be a bit wet and muddy. If too wet this will be by-passed, it is well worth seeing.||Meet at “Strait on the Beach” café, walk to Poinsettia Reserve, one of the Barron River estuary points, then to the other end of Holloways via the boat ramp and a mangrove walk. If tide is low enough anyone who wants to can also walk to Machans Beach, another 5 km return. Brunch halfway.|