For Beginners and Experienced Players
The following sessions are available:
- Mahjong 1 (Beginners) – Tuesdays, 11.30 – 1.30 pm, Dolphin Room
- Mahjong 2 (Intermediate) – Tuesdays, 11.30 am – 1.30 pm, Severin Hall
- Mahjong 3 (Social) – Thursdays, 9.00 am – 12 pm, Severin Hall
- Mahjong 4 (Beginners) – Thursdays, 9.00 am – 12 pm, Mulgrave Room
- Mahjong 5 (Social) – Thursdays, 12.30 – 3.00 pm, Severin Hall
Numbers will be strictly limited for both sessions. Please contact the tutor or convener to book.
The game of Mahjong was invented by the Chinese thousands of years ago. The game was first initiated in Australia in 1920. First games were played at U3A Cairns in March 1991, making 2016 our 25th year of continuous playing of the game. The translation of the word Mahjong means sparrow and this little bird has become a significant part of U3A Cairns Inc.
Mahjong is a fascinating game played by four players. At first the game appears complicated, but it is very easy once rules have been mastered. After that the rest is luck.
At the Guide Hut is where you will hear the twittering of tiles, much laughter and a few groans as players enjoy the morning. Age is no barrier to the game and the enjoyment of playing enhances one’s senses and concentration. Morning tea is served. Over a ‘cuppa’ there is a chance to catch up with friends and not to mention local gossip before returning to combat.
For tutor/convener contact details see the time table in the current bulletin